Saturday 31 May 2008

After Thoughts

Well we made it so we must have done something right!

After the journey had finished the following day we caught the bus to Scarborough where we wondered around the town for a few hours (plus had a bit of fun at the amusement arcades) before our train back home.

The trip is truly engrossing and it felt like that I had been away for weeks rather than 7 days in total. I think it must be down to the amount of things to see, think and take in whilst on the trip.

Physically me and my partner were well matched. Although Steve did the majority of the leading I think quite a lot of this is just down to routine. For example whenever we came to a gate together Steve would always open it and I would always shut it behind for some reason. The only time when I would do the vast majority of the leading was whenever there were steep uphill sections (of which there were plenty). I think it is fair to say I had the worst of the foot problems, although Steve's feet were very sore by the end too but not to the same extent as mine. However he had a few blisters and his muscles got very tired - none of which I suffered from in the slightest. I'm frankly amazed that I didn't get any blistering or rubs at all throughout the whole trip!

I'm convinced that the majority of my foot troubles were down to choice of footwear - perhaps with hindsight trail shoes are not the best option. I don't blame Innov8 - the shoe wasn't designed with the Coast to Coast in mind! Although this type of shoe has more cushioning than its competitors it clearly wasn't enough. Perhaps a Salomon type shoe (trainer type looking but with walking boot type grip) would have been a better option. That said I'm only guessing - the same problems could still have existed.

What would I change? Well very little to be honest. Perhaps more clothes if possible, but not very realistic. Maybe I should have drank more water whilst on the walk/run rather than waiting to consume most of it at rest stops. The only other main thing that I can think of it that not to trust the weather forecast and to have packed that suncream after all!

Could we have gone any quicker?? Well the answer is yes for several reasons. Had we not taken a tent and provisions then yes we could have gone quicker. Had we had less of the foot troubles then yes we could have gone quicker. And yes we could have made it at the end of the fifth day. If the question is 'Should have we gone any quicker?', then the answer is No. I think we did it at the right pace.

I know the true purists will say that the whole point of the Coast to Coast is to take your time and to enjoy the scenery and I accept that viewpoint. However we enjoy running and yet we still enjoyed the scenery, so why not combine both?

Although the trip is still fresh in my mind it is something I have no doubt I will continue to remember for the rest of my life. If you are planning something similar please feel free to drop me a line and I'll answer any questions as best I can.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Lloyd, sounds fantastic, and something I would love to do! (but maybe slower!!)
Great write up too- how is your road running going?
Steph